ST. PAUL, Minn. - Motorists are urged to use extra caution when driving through highway work zones during the July Fourth holiday. The Minnesota Department of Transportation said there are many road construction projects throughout the state that could affect travel.
“We suspend work on many projects during the Fourth of July holiday,” said Mike Barnes, MnDOT’s Operations director. “However, there are still many work zones around the state where drivers need to plan ahead for and be aware of as they travel.”
Highway projects that may affect travel include:
Twin Cities Metro area
· Highway 61 - Single-lane traffic in both directions between White Bear Avenue and north of Highway 96 in White Bear Lake
· Highway 65 - Southbound between 53rd Ave NE in Fridley and County Road 10 in Spring Lake Park is closed
· Highway 36 and Hilton in Pine Springs - Lane and ramp closures; northbound I-694 ramp to eastbound Highway 36, the ramp from Hilton Trail to westbound Highway 36; and access to Viking Drive from eastbound Highway 36 are all closed
· Highway 101 and County Road 144 in Rogers – Lane closures; northbound to eastbound County Road 144 is closed; westbound County Road 144 to northbound Highway 101 is closed; County Road 144 is closed west of James Road
· Highway 101 - Single-lane traffic northbound and southbound
· Highway 169 in Edina – Southbound is closed between Highway 62 and Valley View Road
· Highway 14 between Chaska and Shakopee is closed due to flooding
· Highway 10 east of Glyndon - Lane closures; traffic reduced to one lane in each direction
· Highway 29/Broadway St., downtown Alexandria - Traffic detoured to adjacent streets
· Highway 10 in Rice - Narrow lanes, lane shifts, reduced speed limit, temporary signals
· Highway 95 at Rum River in Cambridge - Detour via local streets, width limit
· Highway 33 northbound - Restricted to single lane near Doddridge Avenue/Big Lake Road intersection; entrance from Big Lake Road to Super One is closed; frontage road entrances are closed on both sides of Highway 33 at Doddridge Avenue and Big Lake Road
· Highway 71 in Browerville – Road closed, detour via County Roads 14, 11
· Highway 22 in Eden Valley – Road closed, detour via County Road 9
· I-94 in Monticello - Narrow lanes, lane shifts, reduced speed limit, Go Hasty detour uses County Road 75 in Monticello to County Road 8 in Hasty; through-town detour uses Highway 25, County Road 18, Broadway/County Road 75 and Chelsea Road
· I-35 in Owatonna – Two-way traffic with crossovers, ramp closures, detours, delays
· Highway 52 in Cannon Falls - Lane closures
· Highway 63 south – Detour from north of Stewartville to south of Racine
· Highway 14 – Detour from Florence to Tracy
· Highway 24 – Detour from Litchfield to Highway 15
· Highways 7/22 – Detour from Cosmos to Hutchinson
· Highway 212 – Detour from Dawson to west of Highway 59
· Highway 169 from St. Peter to LeSueur – Lane restrictions
· Highway 22 in Mankato – Detour
· Highway 60 near St. James – Detour
· Highways 19 and 93 from Highway 169 to Henderson – Closed because of flooding
For the duration of the Fourth of July holiday, and the remainder of the construction season, MnDOT urges drivers to:
- Stay alert, especially at night.
- Obey posted speed limits. Fines may double for violations in work zones.
- Expect work zones to constantly change. Day to day, you could experience lane shifts, closures or moving workers and vehicles.
- Stay off cell phones and mobile devices.
- Move over one lane, if possible, or reduce speed for stopped emergency or maintenance vehicles, including ambulance, fire, law enforcement or maintenance and construction vehicles.
- Use 511mn.org to plan trips and avoid delays.