ST. PAUL, Minn. – As Labor Day weekend approaches, the Minnesota Department of Transportation reminds motorists to be alert and use extra caution while driving through highway work zones.
“Most projects will shut down over the holiday weekend, but there are still many work zones around the state that will affect travel,” said MnDOT Commissioner Charlie Zelle. “We ask drivers to pay attention in work zones and make it a safe weekend for everyone. Check www.511mn.org before you leave to get current road conditions for your route.”
Highway projects that may affect weekend travel Sept. 4-7 include:
Twin Cities area
· Interstate 494 in Plymouth – multiple lane and ramp closures
· I-35E in St. Paul and Little Canada – lane and ramp closures
· Highway 5 between St. Paul and Highway 55 – lane and ramp closures
· Highway 5 between Waconia and Victoria – road closed, detour
· Highway 100 in St. Louis Park – ramp closures and lane shift
· I-94 between Rogers and St. Michael – lane shift, narrow lanes and reduced speeds, expect delays
· Highway 169 along south shore of Lake Mille Lacs – bypass lanes, minor traffic delays
· Highway 25 at Highway 12 east of Melrose (7 miles south of Buffalo) – closed, detour
West Central Minnesota
· Highway 12 between Atwater and Litchfield – detour
· Highway 29 in Alexandria – lane closures and lane shifts near I-94, delays possible
· Highway 2 between Cass Lake and Ball Club – lane shifts, flagging activities, some delays
· Highway 371 between Cass Lake and Walker – lane closures, pilot car, some delays
· Highway 10 in Detroit Lakes – single-lane traffic in both directions, expect delays
· Highway 2 (Bong Bridge) between Duluth and Superior – eastbound lanes closed, detour
· Highway 23 between Duluth and Duquette – single-lane, detour
· Highway 70 east of I-35 – both lanes will be open through the weekend, part of roadway will have a gravel surface
· I-35 Owatonna to Albert Lea – single-lane traffic in both directions, slow traffic
· I-90 between St. Charles and Stewartville – single-lane traffic in both directions, slow traffic
· Highway 14 between Nicollet and Mankato - detour
· Highway 59 in Marshall – short detourFor a complete list of projects, including construction dates and traffic impacts, visit www.mndot.gov/roadwork/current.html. Motorists may also sign up to receive email updates for major projects at www.mndot.gov/emailupdates.
MnDOT urges motorists to always be attentive, drive with caution, slow down in work zones and never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones.
To learn about funding Minnesota’s transportation system, visit Get Connected at www.dot.state.mn.us/getconnected.