BEMIDJI, Minn. – (3:45 p.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation has canceled the no travel advisory for the Red River Valley area in northwestern Minnesota.
Current driving conditions remain difficult as roads are completely covered with ice and blowing snow.
Motorists should remember to:
- Turn on your headlights; day or night if it’s snowing.
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511; it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for their trip.
- Stay back at least five car lengths and preferably 10 behind the plow, far from the snow cloud.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. Plows may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov/workzone/winter.html.