Monday, May 12, 2014

Lane closures on I-94 beginning Tuesday in Fargo

FARGO, N.D. (May 12, 2014) – Starting tomorrow, May 13th at 6 a.m., crews will reduce traffic to two lanes in each direction on Interstate 94 (I-94) between Interstate 29 (I-29) and University Drive South. The left (median) lane in both directions will be closed as crews work on the 25th Street South Bridge.

Lane closures on I-94 are necessary to provide space for workers and equipment to access the 25th Street South bridge pier in the median. Crews will be widening the bridge to support extra lanes of roadway on 25th Street South above I-94. During this phase of the project, crews will be working overnight on I-94 to lessen the traffic impact of the project.

The 25th Street South project will add an additional lane in each direction on the stretch between 17th Avenue and 23rd Avenue, including widening the bridge that crosses I-94. At the completion of the project, traffic will increase from two to three lanes of traffic in each direction, with a center turning lane. In addition, an on-ramp will be added for northbound traffic on 25th Street South to enter eastbound I-94 without crossing traffic.

“Last year we did some concrete pavement repair work on I-94 in this stretch to extend the life of the roadway,” said Kevin Gorder, assistant district engineer for the NDDOT Fargo District. “These lane closures aren’t needed to do any maintenance on I-94, but will provide safety and accessibility for crews to widen the 25th Street Bridge that runs above the interstate.”

The NDDOT- Fargo District encourages motorists to pay attention, reduce speeds and eliminate distractions, as traffic will experience delays through this section.

The 25th Street South project is expected to be completed by November 2014, weather permitting.