Monday, May 19, 2014

Statewide workshops planned for meeting transit needs of disabled and senior populations

ST. PAUL, Minn. – Workshops providing application information for non-profits and public entities interested in available federal funding for lift-equipped vehicles and community mobility management projects, are scheduled for the following dates and locations:
·         Mankato, MNDOT office, May 20, 1 to 4 p.m.
·         Baxter, MNDOT office May 22, 1 to 4 p.m.
·         St. Paul, Hiway Federal Credit Union, June 2, 1- 4 p.m.

The federal program is designed to encourage applicants to develop innovative transportation solutions to meet the needs of seniors and individuals with disabilities in their community. Some examples of eligible activities are mobility management, ride coordination, vehicle sharing and marketing and education. Eligible applicants must be one of the following:                                                                                     
·         A private non-profit corporation or association  
·         A public body, e.g. a municipal hospital, approved by MNDOT to coordinate transit services
·         A public body (city or county), which certifies to MNDOT that a non-profit corporation or association is not available in area to provide transit service

The workshops explain the processes where the federal program provides 80 percent of the funding to purchase the lift-equipped vehicles while the remaining 20 percent is provided from local sources. Federal funding will provide:
·         Vehicles for seniors and individuals with disabilities
·         Mobility management and travel training

The potential applicants for this program must:
·         Provide new transportation options for seniors and individuals with disabilities in their community
·         Develop strong partnerships with other transportation providers and demonstrate financial responsibility
·         Have the capacity to properly execute the program, including ongoing operating funds
·         Projects must be aligned with state coordination plans