- Discover the blooming beauties of Wild River State Park (an hour north of the Twin Cities in Center City) on a walk likely to feature a variety of nodding flowers, the season’s largest flower, flowers pollinated by ants, edible flowers and more. The walk will take place from 10 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, May 10. Meet at the visitor center.
- Celebrate spring at the annual Bluebell Festival at Carley State Park (about 15 miles northeast of Rochester) on Saturday, May 10, when thousands of Virginia bluebells are typically blooming throughout the park. Naturalist-led activities will include “Make a Mother’s Day Wildflower Card” from 9 to 10 a.m., “Trout Fishing for Kids” from 10 a.m. to noon, “Archery in the Park” from noon to 2 p.m. and a “Guided Wildflower Walk” from 2 to 3 p.m.
- See what grows at Great River Bluffs State Park (20 miles southeast of Winona) and why the Blufflands are so important for many of the plants growing here. Meet the park naturalist at picnic area for a guided walk at 2 p.m. Sunday, May 11.
For additional wildflower walks and directions to the parks, visit www.mndnr.gov (www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/wildflower_events.html) or contact the DNR Information Center at email@example.com, 651-296-6157 or 888-646-6367 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Can’t get to a program on Mother’s Day weekend? Consider buying a Minnesota state parks gift card for a walk later this season. Gift cards can be purchased any of three ways:
- By phone 651-296-6157 or 888-646-6367.
- Online (www.mndnr.gov/reservations).
- In person at Minnesota state parks or at the DNR Information Center, 500 Lafayette Road in St. Paul.